Friday, August 14, 2009

A New Woman After Tube Removal

This morning at 4:30 A.M. I felt pretty bad- mostly congestion in and around the intubation tube. Breathing only by mouth is very uncomfortable as anybody with a BAD cold will say. While they promised to take it out on Friday, 4:30A.M. wasn't Friday to them, and they said the doctors do the rounds at 8A.M. Paraphrasing Einstein, 'A minute with your hand in a fire seems like an hour, and an hour with your love feels like a minute". So time inched by and at 8:15A.M. I felt terrible. Then the doctor came; she took out the offending tube from my nose to my stomach (yuk); I blew my nostrils out; I was a new woman....So much so that by the afternoon they took away the glucose infusion, the bandages, and I was walking the halls with my son (with pain medication still being infused every 6 hours), discussing all the Charles Burchfield art on the walls, and he was giving me his opinion about which of the photos I've taken this week might make good embellished fabric collages. At 4:30P.M. Dr.Lele came by with his student entourage, asked some questions and then said ....."you're ready to go home tomorrow". As I said before, I'll apparently need 5 weeks of radiation treatment because the muscle around the vagina was ...what's the word...cancer infected? Still haven't heard about the lymph nodes, but will look forward to there being no cancer intrusion there. Anyone who comments or reads this....
Love and thank you for being there for me,
Drina

3 comments:

  1. Yes, dear Drina, I do now read your blog. Yesterday I tried to send a comment, but for reasons I cannot explain clearly, it wouldn't let me. You are brave, you are woman, you are invincible. Keep going -- I'll keep reading. Love, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I love the photo with you and the omnichord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Robin, I wrote out a whole big thing and as you said, it wrote "Your request could not be processed. Please try again."

    I have been trying so hard to write in your blog but that Status profile - I don't get it. I am just so relieved that the surgery is over and I got you blog. I just can't figure what to do with the Status Profile- keeps me from making any comments. I am just so very relieved for you that the surgery is over. I think of you all the time and worry about what is happening. Thanks so much for writing the blog. I can keep up with all that is going on with you.

    My HS friend wrote "Much love and thanks for your update. How long do you think you will be in the hospital? Will you be getting your radiation treatments at Roswell or would you be able to go home. I think it's probably best that you stay with your family. I'll only be with John, and we won't stay in Buffalo. There are issues with children and pregnant women being around those who've had radiation.

    ReplyDelete